Malaysia's leading economic index increased by 1.4 percent month-over-month in October 2019, after a 0.1 percent rise in the previous month. This was the highest reading in three months, as five out of seven components posted rises: real imports of other basic precious & other non-ferrous metals (0.9 percent), real imports of semi conductors (0.4 percent), number of housing units approved (0.1 percent), real money supply M1 (0.1 percent), and expected sales value, manufacturing (0.1 percent). Year-on-year, the index rose 0.3 percent in October, after a 0.3 percent gain in September. Meanwhile, the coincident index, which measures the overall current economic performance, increased 0.9 percent month-on- month in October, following a 1.2 percent fall in September. Leading Economic Index in Malaysia averaged 0.18 percent from 1991 until 2019, reaching an all time high of 4.50 percent in April of 1994 and a record low of -3.30 percent in November of 1991. source: Department of Statistics, Malaysia

Leading Economic Index in Malaysia is expected to be -0.20 percent by the end of this quarter, according to Trading Economics global macro models and analysts expectations. Looking forward, we estimate Leading Economic Index in Malaysia to stand at 1.50 in 12 months time. In the long-term, the Malaysia Leading Economic Index is projected to trend around 1.80 percent in 2020, according to our econometric models.


Ok
Trading Economics members can view, download and compare data from nearly 200 countries, including more than 20 million economic indicators, exchange rates, government bond yields, stock indexes and commodity prices.

The Trading Economics Application Programming Interface (API) provides direct access to our data. It allows API clients to download millions of rows of historical data, to query our real-time economic calendar, subscribe to updates and receive quotes for currencies, commodities, stocks and bonds.

Please Paste this Code in your Website
width
height
Malaysia Leading Economic Index

Actual Previous Highest Lowest Dates Unit Frequency
1.40 0.10 4.50 -3.30 1991 - 2019 percent Monthly
2005=100



Calendar GMT Actual Previous Consensus TEForecast
2019-09-25 04:00 AM Leading Index MoM Jul 1.4% -0.3% 0.7%
2019-10-25 04:00 AM Leading Index MoM Aug -0.8% 1.4% -0.9%
2019-11-25 04:00 AM Leading Index MoM Sep 0.1% -0.8% -0.2%
2019-12-24 04:00 AM Leading Index MoM Oct 1.4% 0.1% 0.3%
2020-01-24 04:00 AM Leading Index MoM Nov 1.4% -0.7%


News Stream
2019-11-25
Malaysia Leading Index Rises 0.1% MoM in September
Malaysia's leading economic index increased by 0.1 percent month-over-month in September 2019, reversing from a 0.8 percent fall in the previous month. Among seven components, four posted rises: number of housing units approved (0.4 percent), real money supply M1 (0.3 percent), bursa Malaysia Industrial Index (0.1 percent), and real imports of other basic precious & other non-ferrous metals (0.1 percent). Year-on-year, the index rose 0.3 percent in September, after a 0.5 percent fall in August. Meanwhile, the coincident index, which measures the overall current economic performance, fell 1.2 percent month-on- month in September, following a 0.5 percent gain in August.

2019-10-25
Malaysia Leading Index Falls 0.8% MoM in August
Malaysia's leading economic index declined by 0.8 percent month-over-month in August 2019, reversing from a 1.4 percent rise in the previous month. Among seven components, five posted losses: number of housing units approved (-0.3 percent), real money supply M1 (-0.1 percent), real imports of semi-conductors (-0.1 percent), real imports of other basic precious & other non-ferrous metals (-0.3 percent), and bursa Malaysia Industrial Index (-0.1 percent). Year-on-year, the index fell 0.5 percent in August, following a 0.4 percent gain in July. Meanwhile, the coincident index, which measures the overall current economic performance, advanced 0.5 percent over a month earlier, after a 0.9 percent increase in the prior month.

2019-09-25
Malaysia Leading Index Rebounds in July
Malaysia's leading economic index increased by 1.4 percent month-over-month in July 2019, the first rise in three months, rebounding from a 0.3 percent fall in the previous month. Among seven components, four posted gains: number of housing units approved (0.9 percent), number of new companies registered (0.4 percent), real money supply M1 (0.3 percent), and real imports of semi-conductors (0.1 percent). Year-on-year, the index rose 0.4 percent in July, following a 0.8 percent decline in June. Meanwhile, the coincident index, which measures the overall current economic performance, advanced 0.9 percent over a month earlier, after a 0.2 percent fall in the prior month.

2019-08-23
Malaysia Leading Index Falls Much Softer in June
Malaysia's leading economic index dropped by 0.3 percent month-over-month in June 2019, after a 1.7 percent fall in the previous month. Among seven components, four posted declines: number of housing units approved (-0.6 percent), real imports of other basic precious & non-ferrous metals (-0.4 percent), number of new companies registered (-0.4 percent), and real money supply, M1 (-0.3 percent). Year-on-year, the index fell 0.8 percent in June, following a 0.3 percent decrease in May. Meanwhile, the coincident index, which measures the overall current economic performance, decreased 0.2 percent month-on-month in June, shifting from an upwardly revised 0.4 percent rise in May.

2019-07-25
Malaysia Leading Index Falls for First Time in 3 Months
Malaysia's leading economic index dropped by 1.7 percent month-over-month in May 2019, shifting from a downwardly revised 2.5 percent gain in the previous month. This was the first monthly decline in the index since February. Among seven components, five posted falls: expected sales value, manufacturing (-0.6 percent); number of housing units approved (-0.5 percent); number of new companies registered (-0.4 percent); real imports of other basic precious & non-ferrous metals (-0.4 percent); and real imports of semi conductors (-0.1 percent). Year-on-year, the index fell 0.3 percent in May, reversing from a downwardly revised 0.3 percent rise in April. Meanwhile, the coincident index, which measures the overall current economic performance, advanced 0.3 percent month-on-month in May, after a 0.6 percent rise in April.

2019-06-25
Malaysia Leading Index Surges in April
Malaysia's leading economic index increased by 2.6 percent month-over-month in April 2019, accelerating sharply from a 2.7 percent gain in the previous month. Among seven components, six posted gains: real imports of semi conductors (0.8 percent), real imports of other basic precious & non-ferrous metals (0.7 percent), number of housing units approved (0.4 percent), number of new companies registered (0.4 percent), Bursa Malaysia industrial index (0.3 percent), and expected sales value (0.1 percent). Year-on-year, the index rose 0.4 percent in April, reversing from an upwardly revised 1.8 percent fall in March. Meanwhile, the coincident index, which measures the overall current economic performance, advanced 0.4 percent month-on-month in April, after a 0.1 percent fall in March.


Malaysia Leading Economic Index
In Malaysia, the Leading Index provides early signal on the direction in which the economy is going. It is calculated based on real money supply M1, Bursa Malaysia industrial index, real total traded (eight major trading partners: Japan, USA, Germany, UK, Singapore, Thailand, China, Canada), CPI for services (inverted), industrial material price index, ratio of price to unit labor cost (manufacturing), number of housing permits approved, number of new companies registered, trend adjustment factor. The index has a base value of 100 as of 2005.

Malaysia Business Last Previous Highest Lowest Unit
Business Confidence 94.20 94.30 126.00 70.60 points [+]
Industrial Production 2.00 0.30 12.80 -17.60 percent [+]
Industrial Production Mom 1.80 -0.90 7.20 -5.00 percent [+]
Manufacturing Production 2.50 2.20 38.50 -44.40 percent [+]
Changes in Inventories -6808.00 -4618.00 6475.00 -10585.00 MYR Million [+]
Car Production 43300.00 52191.00 64333.00 1112.00 Units [+]
Car Registrations 108231.00 95984.00 138727.00 9732.00 [+]
Leading Economic Index 1.40 0.10 4.50 -3.30 percent [+]
Internet Speed 8945.38 8200.47 8945.38 826.70 KBps [+]
IP Addresses 1704176.00 1654177.00 2205250.00 681617.00 IP [+]
Mining Production 0.50 -5.80 16.20 -20.30 percent [+]
Manufacturing Pmi 50.00 49.50 52.00 46.80 points [+]
Cement Production 1451.00 1421.00 2442.00 147.00 Thousands of Tonnes [+]
Coincident Index 139.30 138.00 139.70 56.80 points [+]
Competitiveness Index 74.60 74.38 74.60 4.87 Points [+]
Competitiveness Rank 27.00 25.00 27.00 18.00 [+]
Ease of Doing Business 12.00 15.00 24.00 6.00 [+]
Corruption Index 53.00 47.00 53.20 43.00 Points [+]
Corruption Rank 51.00 61.00 62.00 23.00 [+]