Construction output in the United Kingdom rose 2.0 percent year-on-year in November 2019, after a downwardly revised 0.3 percent drop in October and against market expectations of a 1.4 percent fall. It was the largest monthly rise in construction activity since January, as all new work increased at a faster pace (2.6% vs 0.1% in October), driven by other new work from private industrial (10.4% vs 0.9%) and private commercial (2.4% vs 2.9%). Meantime, activity picked up for total housing (3.1% vs 0.2%), amid gains in the public segment (20.1% vs 23%) and the private one (0.3% vs -3.4%) along with infrastructure (1.5% vs 0.9%). In addition, all repair & maintenance posted the first gain in seven months (0.9% vs -0.9%). On a seasonally adjusted monthly basis, construction output advanced 1.9 percent, after a downwardly revised 2.2 percent fall in the prior month and beating market consensus of a 0.6 percent gain.

Construction Output in the United Kingdom averaged 2.02 percent from 1997 until 2019, reaching an all time high of 24 percent in March of 2002 and a record low of -19.20 percent in January of 2010. This page provides the latest reported value for - United Kingdom Construction Output - plus previous releases, historical high and low, short-term forecast and long-term prediction, economic calendar, survey consensus and news.

Construction Output in the United Kingdom is expected to be 1.00 percent by the end of this quarter, according to Trading Economics global macro models and analysts expectations. Looking forward, we estimate Construction Output in the United Kingdom to stand at 1.20 in 12 months time. In the long-term, the United Kingdom Construction Output is projected to trend around 1.50 percent in 2020, according to our econometric models.


Ok
Trading Economics members can view, download and compare data from nearly 200 countries, including more than 20 million economic indicators, exchange rates, government bond yields, stock indexes and commodity prices.

The Trading Economics Application Programming Interface (API) provides direct access to our data. It allows API clients to download millions of rows of historical data, to query our real-time economic calendar, subscribe to updates and receive quotes for currencies, commodities, stocks and bonds.

Please Paste this Code in your Website
width
height
United Kingdom Construction Output

Actual Previous Highest Lowest Dates Unit Frequency
2.00 -0.30 24.00 -19.20 1997 - 2019 percent Monthly
SA

Calendar GMT Actual Previous Consensus TEForecast
2019-10-10 08:30 AM Aug 2.4% 1.9% -0.2% -0.4%
2019-11-11 09:30 AM Sep 0.5% 1.8% 0.6% 0.8%
2019-12-10 09:30 AM Oct -2.1% 0.5% -0.1% -0.2%
2020-01-13 09:30 AM Nov 2.0% -0.3% -1.4% -1.8%
2020-02-11 09:30 AM Dec -3.2%


News Stream
2019-12-10
UK Construction Output Falls the Most in 10 Months
Construction output in the United Kingdom dropped 2.1 percent year-on-year in October 2019, down from a 0.5 percent rise in the previous month and compared with market expectations of a 0.1 percent decrease. It was the steepest decline in construction activity since December 2018. A fall was seen in total new housing (-2.0 percent vs 2.1 percent in September), particularly private (-5.0 percent vs 1.0 percent) and all new work (-1.2 percent vs 3.5 percent). Meantime, repair and maintenance decreased softer (-3.8 percent vs -5.1 percent). On a monthly basis, construction output went down 2.3 percent, the most since January 2018.

2019-11-11
UK Construction Output Below Forecasts
Construction output in the United Kingdom edged up 0.5 percent year-on-year in September of 2019, following a downwardly revised 1.8 percent gain in August and below market expectations of a 0.6 percent growth. A slowdown was seen in new housing (2.1 percent compared to 4.2 percent in August), both private (1 percent compared to 2.8 percent) and public (8.8 percent compared to 12.6 percent); and new work (3.5 percent compared to 4.2 percent). Also, repair and maintenance fell further (-5.1 percent compared to -2.6 percent). On a monthly basis, construction output went down 0.2 percent, after a 0.1 percent gain in August. Considering Q3, construction output rose 1.2 percent year-on-year, the lowest gain so far this year.

2019-10-10
UK Construction Output Unexpectedly Rises
Construction output in the United Kingdom rose 2.4 percent year-on-year in August 2019, following an upwardly revised 1.9 percent gain in July and beating market expectations of a 0.2 percent fall. It was the strongest growth in construction activity in four months, as output advanced further for all new work (4.5 percent from 4.1 percent in July), led by private industrial (1.2 percent from -4.6 percent) and commercial (3.6 percent from 1.9 percent); and total housing (5.5 percent from 5 percent), driven by the public sector (14.6 percent from 9.5 percent). Additionally, repair and maintenance activity declined less (-1.4 percent from -2 percent). On a monthly basis, construction output went up 0.2 percent, easing from an upwardly revised 1.8 percent increase.

2019-09-09
UK Construction Output Rises More than Expected
Construction output in the United Kingdom increased 0.3 percent year-on-year in July 2019, reversing a 0.2 percent fall in June and beating market expectations of a 0.1 percent growth. Output increased faster for all new work (2.3 percent vs 1.9 percent in June) and infrastructure (12.1 percent vs 9.4 percent). Meantime, repair and maintenance activity shrink less (-3.5 percent vs -4.0 percent). On the other hand, output rose at a softer pace for total housing (3.7 percent vs 5.2 percent), led by the public sector (14.1 percent vs 30.9 percent). On a monthly basis, construction output jumped 0.5 percent, rebounding from a 0.7 percent fall in June.

2019-08-09
UK Construction Output Falls for First Time in 6 Months
Construction output in the United Kingdom decreased by 0.2 percent year-on-year in June of 2019, following a downwardly revised 1.3 percent gain in the previous month and against market expectations of a 0.2 percent rise. It was the first fall in construction activity since December of 2018, as output rose at a softer pace for all new work (1.9 percent vs 3.2 percent in May), amid a slowdown in total housing (5.2 percent vs 7.5 percent), led by the private segment (0.8 percent vs 4.1 percent) while other new work from private industrial declined (-9.8 percent vs 3.0 percent). Meantime, activity continued to shrink in all repair and maintenance (-4.0 percent vs -2.1 percent). On a monthly basis, construction output slumped 0.7 percent, after a 0.3 percent increase in May.

2019-07-10
UK Construction Output Growth at 5-Month Low
Construction output in the United Kingdom increased 1.7 percent year-on-year in May 2019, following an upwardly revised 3.1 percent rise in April and above market expectations of a 0.9 percent gain. It was the weakest growth in construction activity since December. Output rose less for all new work (3.6% vs 3.9% in April), mainly hampered by declines in other new work from public (-7.3% vs 1.5%); private commercial (-6.8% vs 4.7%) and private industrial (-0.7% vs 11.9%). Conversely, activity advanced faster for total housing (9.4% vs 8.5%) and infrastructure (13.6% vs 12.4%). Meantime, all repair and maintenance decreased (-1.8 percent vs 1.6 percent). On a monthly basis, construction output advanced 0.6 percent, after an upwardly revised 0.5 percent fall in the prior month and beating market consensus of a 0.4 percent gain.


United Kingdom Construction Output
In the United Kingdom, construction output measures the yearly change in the amount charged by construction companies to customers for value of work. The value is based on the sample of 8,000 businesses, employing over 100 people or with an annual turnover of more than £60 million. Construction estimates are a component of GDP from the production approach, contributing approximately 6.4% of GDP.

United Kingdom Housing Last Previous Highest Lowest Unit
Housing Starts 37220.00 36630.00 69520.00 17120.00 units [+]
Construction Output 2.00 -0.30 24.00 -19.20 percent [+]
Housing Index 412.10 404.58 412.10 45.16 points [+]
Mortgage Approvals 64.99 64.66 151.80 26.36 Thousand [+]
Mortgage Applications 43715.00 41312.00 92238.00 17589.00 Units [+]
Nationwide Housing Prices 429.46 430.37 434.21 98.95 points [+]
Construction Pmi 44.40 45.30 64.60 27.80 points [+]
Construction Orders -6.80 -4.80 37.40 -43.90 percent [+]
Home Loans 4052.00 4312.00 10274.00 -308.00 GBP Million [+]
Home Ownership Rate 65.10 65.00 73.30 63.40 percent [+]